Friday 19 December 2014

Egon Schiele Studies

I decided that I wanted to carry on with the subject of hands, so chose the artist Egon Schiele as the main focus in a lot of his works are of the face and the hands. I like the intricacy he portrays with hands as he makes the knuckles very prominent, looking at the aged body and showing how it has been worn and tired out. 


Here I drew the hands from Schiele's 'Self Portrait with Hands on Chest' using watercolours and a biro pen. I like the use of warm colours in this, as well as the blending on tones. I think that the use of similar, yet unnatural tones in this piece give it a sense of being unique and different. 


Looking at another one of Schiele's works, I chose 'Self Portrait, Grimacing' and drew a study of the hand in it using watercolours and a fine-liner. I like this piece because of the use of more dull tones and expressive lines, which both make the hand seem old and ragged. They show how the hand has been worn down over time. 

Experimenting with Different Materials and Textures


Looking at creating different textures, I decided to create a texture that would make the page look as if has been scrunched up. To do this I stuck down scrunched up newspaper, and painted over it with emulsion to create a very rough texture. I then used an ochre yellow watercolour over the top to make it look more old and worn. I then drew from a photo I had taken earlier over the top with biro and watercolour. It was quite difficult to draw over the top of it because of how uneven the surface is, however I think that it works well and that I got the look I wanted to achieve. 


For a more simple textured base, I painted the page with emulsion with a large paintbrush in different directions, leaving lines that had been created for the strokes. Over the top I drew Schiele's hand from 'Self Portrait with Raised Arms' using oil pastels for the colours, and charcoal for the outline. Around the hand I stained the page with coffee to add more tones similar to the ones used in 'Self Portrait with Hands on Chest'. I think this works well and would like to do more studies using this texture as I like the lines it creates in the charcoal and oil pastels. 


Using the same texture base as before, I used some photos I had taken of my own hands to try out some different materials on this texture. 


For this hand I used the same use of oil pastels and charcoal as the previous one, however this time I primarily painted over the hand with coffee to give it a different tone than the white used before. I think this works well because of the different tones used and the textures that have been created. 


Here I cut down again to using only one material. I used a fine-liner to create expressive lines showing the shape and direction of the hand, as shown in Schiele's 'Self Portrait, Grimacing' - the delicacy of the lines show how the hand has been worn down over time. 


Here I used similar colours to those in Schiele's 'Self Portrait with Hand on Chest' with watercolours, as well as using a scribbling technique with a fine-liner, in resemblance to what I did with Antonio Lopez Garcia's 'Gloved Hands'. I think that this would have worked better if I used a biro instead of a fine-liner, because the fine-liner looks too thick and heavy, almost like a felt tip pen, and using a biro would give it a more intricate look because it is thinner and more light. 


To create a more subtle use of newspaper for a textural base, I glued newspaper to the page, and then moved it around to create rips and folds as it dried. After this painted over it with emulsion. This gave it a more subtle texture than before, making it easier to draw over the top. Again, for this piece I used coffee, oil pastels and watercolours for the hands, and then a fine-liner for the background. I like the idea of the expressive lines in the background, however as before, I think that they are too thick and should have been drawn with a biro instead. I also found that that the hands in this drawing looked very cartoon-like, which was not the look I was going for. 

Despite this, I would like to use this image using different materials and techniques as I like how old it is and the way it stands out. It could be a possible subject for my final piece:




















No comments:

Post a Comment