Thursday 9 October 2014

Antonio Lopez Garcia's '1964 Gloved Hands' - Own Drawing

I decided to draw from Antonio Lopez Garcia's '1964 Gloved Hands', working with a fine-liner pen to add variety to the mediums I have been using.


Above I started drawing the outline of the fingers, and filled in the first part of the
shading using downward strokes. I wanted to achieve the grainy look that Garcia uses in many of his pencil drawings, but I felt that this technique wasn't fulfilling this style.



I decided to use a more free technique by using the pen to shade in different directions, giving it a more messy and free look. I feel that this technique works better as it gives the drawing a more grainy look.





For the lower part of the hand which is darker than the rest, I pressed harder with the pen and shaded with the lines closer together. However, for the lighter parts of the hands such as the finger tips, I didn't shade as much to show the highlights on the glove. 




Finishing off the drawing, I drew in lines to add in the layers of detail such as the creases in the glove. I was happy with the result however felt that the drawing is quite bold and contrasts a lot with the white background, so needed something to help it blend in a little more. 


To be consistent with the same style throughout, I shaded the background lightly to give it a gradual gradient, blending in with the white. I am quite pleased with the outcome as it portrays the grainy look that Garcia uses in many of his drawings, and although it doesn't use construction lines, it uses a messy, free style that is shown in the artist's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment